What Levels of Voltage are Lethal?

Electricial worker conducts high voltage testElectricity is a powerful and versatile force that we use every day for various purposes, such as lighting, heating, cooling, and powering devices. However, electricity can also be dangerous and even deadly if it comes in contact with our bodies. The effects of electric shock depend on several factors, such as the type, level, and duration of the voltage, the path of the current through the body, and the individual’s health and resistance. In this article, we will explore what levels of voltage are lethal, what causes electric shock, what are the symptoms and consequences of electric shock, and how to prevent and treat electric shock.

What Is Voltage?

Voltage is a measure of the difference in electric potential energy between two points in an electric circuit. It is often compared to the pressure that pushes water through a pipe. The higher the voltage, the more energy is available to move electric charges, or electrons, through a conductor, such as a wire. Voltage is measured in volts (V).

What Causes Electric Shock?

Electric shock occurs when an electric current passes through the body. This can happen when a person touches a live wire, an exposed metal part of an electrical device, a lightning strike, or a static discharge. The current can enter and exit the body at different points, such as the hands, feet, head, or chest. The current can also flow through internal organs, such as the heart, lungs, brain, and nerves.

What Are the Effects of Electric Shock?

The effects of electric shock depend on the amount of current that flows through the body, which is determined by the voltage and the resistance of the body. Resistance is the opposition to the flow of current and varies depending on the type and condition of the tissue. Dry skin has a high resistance, while wet skin, blood, and internal organs have a low resistance. The lower the resistance, the higher the current for a given voltage.

The effects of electric shock can range from mild to severe, depending on the following factors:

  • The level of voltage: Low voltage (less than 500 V) can cause pain, muscle spasms, and burns. High voltage (more than 500 V) can cause deep burns, nerve damage, cardiac arrest, and death.
  • The type of current: Alternating current (AC) is more dangerous than direct current (DC), because AC can cause the muscles to contract and prevent the person from letting go of the source. AC also has a greater tendency to cause ventricular fibrillation, a rapid and irregular heartbeat that can be fatal. The frequency of AC also affects its danger. The standard frequency of AC in the United States is 60 hertz (Hz), which is more dangerous than higher frequencies, such as 400 Hz or 1,000 Hz.
  • The duration of contact: The longer the contact, the more damage is done. A brief contact (less than one second) may cause a mild shock, while a prolonged contact (more than one second) may cause serious injury or death.
  • The path of the current: The path of the current through the body determines which organs are affected. The most dangerous path is from hand to hand or from hand to foot, because it crosses the heart and can cause cardiac arrest. The least dangerous path is from foot to foot, because it bypasses the vital organs.
  • The individual’s health and resistance: The health and resistance of the person can influence the severity of the shock. People with heart problems, pacemakers, or metal implants are more vulnerable to electric shock. People with wet skin, wounds, or jewelry are more conductive and have lower resistance. People with higher body mass or muscle mass have higher resistance and may tolerate higher currents.

What Are the Symptoms of Electric Shock?

The symptoms of electric shock vary depending on the severity of the injury. Some common symptoms include:

  • Pain or tingling at the site of contact
  • Muscle contractions or spasms
  • Numbness or weakness in the limbs
  • Difficulty breathing or swallowing
  • Irregular heartbeat or chest pain
  • Loss of consciousness or seizures
  • Confusion or memory loss
  • Headache or dizziness
  • Vision or hearing problems
  • Burns, blisters, or skin damage

How to Prevent Electric Shock?

Nearly all Electric shock incidents can be prevented by following some basic safety rules, such as:

  • Cover all outlets and use child-proof plugs
  • Ensure that wires are properly insulated and covered
  • Keep wires away from children’s reach and water sources
  • Turn off the power before doing any electrical work and use a non-contact voltage tester to make sure the circuits are off
  • Use ground-fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs) in wet areas, such as bathrooms and kitchens, to prevent shocks from faulty appliances or wiring
  • Use surge protectors and avoid overloading outlets or extension cords
  • Wear rubber-soled shoes and gloves when working with electricity
  • Avoid touching metal objects or surfaces that may be electrified
  • Stay away from power lines, transformers, and lightning
  • Seek shelter indoors during thunderstorms and avoid using phones, computers, or other electrical devices

How to Treat Electric Shock?

In case someone does experience Electric shock, it's important to know what to do to help. Medical emergencies like this require immediate attention. If someone has been shocked, follow these steps:

  • Call 911 or the local emergency number and check for signs of breathing and pulse
  • If the person is not breathing, perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) until help arrives
  • If the person is breathing, check for burns, wounds, or fractures and treat them accordingly
  • Do not move the person unless they are in immediate danger of further shock or injury
  • Do not touch the person or the source of the shock until the power is turned off or the source is removed
  • Do not apply ice, water, or ointment to the burns, as they may worsen the damage
  • Keep the person warm and comfortable until help arrives

Electricity is a useful and essential part of our lives, but it can also be dangerous and lethal if not handled properly. The level of voltage that can cause death depends on several factors, such as the type, duration, and path of the current, and the individual’s health and resistance. Electric shock can cause various symptoms and complications, such as burns, nerve damage, cardiac arrest, and death. Electric shock can be prevented by following safety rules and using protective devices. Electric shock can be treated by calling for help, performing CPR, and caring for the injuries. By being aware of the risks and taking precautions, we can enjoy the benefits of electricity without putting ourselves or others in harm’s way.

Additional voltage facts:


View all Electrical Safety Q&A

Free E-Book

Wire Marking

Learn how to manage wires and cables to improve electrical safety.

Other FREE Resources:

Helpful Resources