Forklifts are a necessary but dangerous piece of equipment for all that use them. With the ability to carry thousands of pounds, these manned industrial trucks also have the ability to cause fatalities and severe injury to operators as well as those around them. For that reason, forklift operators are required by OSHA to complete forklift training to obtain a certification. OSHA has stated that around 70% of forklift accidents could have been prevented by requiring employees to be trained—keep in mind the average number of injuries per year is around 61,000.
We are here to help you through all your forklift safety questions! While these machines can be dangerous, as long as they are used correctly, they are a great resource for warehouses and other types of industrial sites. For that reason, we are going to go over many of the basic elements of forklift safety, some of the topics we will cover include:
- The need for a certification: We will go into detail why forklift certification is necessary for becoming an operator yourself, as well as how often that certification must be renewed.
- Forklift hazards: Forklift hazards kill an average of 100 people a year and injure thousands more. We will explore the different kinds of forklift hazards and go into depth on why they occur and when.
- Improper use of forklifts: There are right ways to use a forklift and there are wrong ways to use a forklift. Unfortunately, incorrect use can harm and possibly fatally injure employees. Here the do’s and don’ts of forklift operation will be discussed.
We are here to help! Use our free resources like this one to further improve your knowledge on forklift safety.
Forklift Safety Questions and Answers
- Are forklifts more dangerous than a car?
- Can forklifts carry passengers?
- Do forklift operators need to be certified?
- Does OSHA have forklift regulations?
- How can workplace design prevent forklift accidents?
- How does floor marking affect forklift safety?
- How is forklift training conducted?
- How often should forklift training be provided?
- Is forklift certification required?
- Who issues forklift licenses?
- Who needs a forklift certification?
- Who should be trained on forklift safety?
- Why is forklift safety training important?
- Why would a forklift tip over?