Valve/pipe tags are something that every facility with industrial faucets and valves needs, especially to abide by the standards that non-profit organizations have created to ensure employees are kept safe. These tags come in several different materials and sizes to ensure longevity of the tag itself.
Without valve tags, employees wouldn’t know about:
• The contents of the pipe
• Hazards associated with the substance inside
• The appropriate response to a spill
• The appropriate response to exposure to the contents
• When the valve should be used
With corresponding valve tag code charts located in each facility, everyone is able to reference each code for the information listed above. There is nothing wrong with having too much information because the more information you have, the better off you are in preventing a potentially catastrophic accident that threatens people as well as the facility itself.
Some of the topics that will be covered in this Q&A section include:
- When valve tags should be used: We will explore when valve tags should be used to be able to safeguard employees from potentially dangerous contents of the pipes.
- Where they need to be placed: Placement is everything when thinking about valve tags. They need to be in the best position to allow for easy visibility and hazard communication.
- Their relationship with Lean manufacturing: The Lock-Out Tag-Out method, LOTO, has a big role in valve tagging operations. We will discuss how LOTO helps facilities maximize their safety programs.
In these Q&A posts, learn the answers to the most commonly asked questions when regarding valve tags. From learning what kind of tag to use, where to place it, and how it improves workplace safety, you can find the answers here!
Valve Tag Questions and Answers
- Are valve tags the same as pipe labeling?
- Do valve tags have words, numbers, or pictures on them?
- How do I start implementing valve tags?
- How do valve tags improve workplace safety?
- How do valve tags work with a LOTO system?
- How many valves should I tag?
- What are chemical valve tags?
- What are plumbing valve tags?
- What are temperature based valve tags?
- What are the standards and regulations of valve tags?
- What are the valve color codes?
- What are valve tags made out of?
- What are valve tags?
- What information is on a valve tag?
- What is a valve tag chart?
- When are valve tags used?
- When should I use a pipe tag?
- Where should valve tags be placed?
- Who develops and enforces valve tag regulations?