Text From Infographic
Leading Causes of Workplace Injuries
They may seem simple and ordinary, but they sure add up! Knowing the kinds of injuries that occur most often may help you be more aware as you go through your work day. Be aware and take care!
- 25.7% - OVEREXERTION INVOLVING OUTSIDE SOURCE
Overexertion in lifting, pushing, pulling, turning, throwing, and catching.
- 15.4% - FALLS ON SAME LEVEL
Fall on same level while climbing stairs or steps, fall on same level due to uneven surface, fall on same level due to object, fall to same level due to tripping over self.
- 10.1% -STRUCK BY OBJECT OR EQUIPMENT
Struck by nontransport powered vehicle, struck by rolling object or equipment, struck by falling object or equipment, struck by discharged or flying object, injured by handheld object or equipment, injured by object breaking in hand, injured by slipping or swinging object held by injured worker or other worker.
- 8.9% - FALLS TO LOWER LEVEL
Fall from collapsing structure or equipment, fall through surface, other fall to lower level.
- 7.6% - OTHER EXERTIONS OR BODILY REACTIONS
Bending, crawling, reaching, twisting, climbing, stepping, kneeling, sitting, standing, walking, running, boarding, alighting.
- 3.8% - SLIP OR TRIP WITHOUT FALL
Slip on substance without fall, trip on uneven surface without fall, trip over self without fall.
- 3.5% - REPETITIVE MOTIONS INVOLVING MICRO-TASKS
Typing, key entry, texting, mousing, repetitive use of tools and equipment, repetitive grasping, placing, or moving objects.
- 2.9% - STRUCK AGAINST OBJECT OR EQUIPMENT
Bumping into objects, stepping on objects, kicking objects, being pushed or thrown into or against objects, struck against stationary object or equipment while rising
- 2.8% - CAUGHT IN/COMPRESSED BY EQUIPMENT OR OBJECTS
Caught in running equipment or machinery, compressed or pinched by shifting objects, entangled in other object or equipment.
Sum of top 10 events = 85%
Total costs = $55.4 billion
Source: US Bureau of Labor Statistics
Creative Safety Supply is committed to being your safety experts. We provide a wide range of industrial safety products, including floor marking tape, label printers and safety signage. Our friendly customer service representatives are ready to assist you. Call today!
- The A,B,Cs and 1,2,3s of Fall Protection
- Tool Organization with Foam Kits
- Eye Injuries in the Workplace
- 10 Most Hazardous Jobs in the US in 2018
- 10 Tips to Keep You Awake and Safe on the Job
- Pipe Marking 101: Why is Pipe Marking Important?
- Stay on Top of Ladder Safety
- Stop Buying Labels from a Catalog
Workplace injures can be avoided
The 10 causes of workplace injuries listed in this infographic make up 85% of all workplace injuries in the U.S. and cost $55.4 billion annually, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Odds are you encounter hazards that could cause some of these injuries. Take a look at the list so you’re aware of potential dangers to pay attention to in your workplace. If your facility experiences any of these injury types frequently, it may be time to take action.
Want this infographic as a poster?
Copyright © 2014 Creative Safety Supply