Forklift training is essential for all forklift operators. In fact, OSHA requires that forklift operators are properly trained and certified by their employer before they can operate this type of machinery. Employers are the ones who are directly responsible for ensuring all operator receive the training they need before they ever get behind the wheel of a forklift. Fortunately, there are quite a few different options available that will make conducting forklift training easy and affordable.
Employer Training vs Third Party Training
The first set of options that an employer will have is going to be whether they want to conduct the training themselves or have a third party training provider take care of it. The third-party providers will likely be more expensive, but they don’t require the time and effort of team members to complete. In addition, these third-party companies specialize in this type of training, which often makes it higher quality than could be provided in-house. Some third-party training companies even offer the option of coming to a local facility to conduct the training, which can make it even more convenient.
What is Required for Forklift Training?
No matter who provides the actual training, it is important to make sure it is conducted properly. In order to comply with OSHA requirements, the training needs to come in (at least) three parts, which are as follows:
- Classroom Training – The classroom training is where trainees are given the knowledge they need on how to operate a forklift, forklift safety, and more. This can be done using books, videos, live instructors, and more.
- Hands On Training – The hands on training is when a trainee works with an experienced forklift operator to get experience behind the wheel. This should ideally be done using the exact model of forklift that the operator will use once they are certified.
- Professional Evaluation – The last segment is the evaluation. This is where the trainee will have to demonstrate that they have the skills needed to safely operate a forklift. The evaluation is conducted by an experienced and certified forklift operator.
- Is forklift certification required?
- Who issues forklift licenses?
- How often should forklift training be provided?
- Who needs a forklift certification?
- Do forklift operators need to be certified?
- Why is forklift safety training important?
- What PPE is Required for Forklift Operators?
- Who should be trained on forklift safety?
- How are Forklifts Safely Operated?