COVID-19, also known as the Coronavirus, is an incredibly contagious virus that is making its way around communities globally. Social distancing has been mandated by several countries where they have subsequently shut down large gatherings and public events. Governments have also shut down non-essential businesses, among numerous other safety measures to attempt to keep people from contracting this disease.
The first step in preventing the spread of COVID-19 is knowing how the virus jumps from person to person. The main concern are the respiratory droplets that remain in the air after an infected person sneezes or coughs. These droplets often can land on other people who were in close proximity of the infected person making it into their mouths or noses, thus infecting those who were exposed. The rapid spread of the disease is what’s concerning, which is why implementing social distancing is so important.
The big thing to take away from the recommendation of social distancing is avoiding close contact with people who are sick and keeping a distance of 6 feet between you and others at all times. If you are able to work from home take that opportunity to protect you and whomever is living in the same household by doing so. Overall, the best way to prevent this illness is to avoid being exposed to it. Some don’t show COVID-19 symptoms at all, yet they can still be contagious, so remember to stay at home to stay safe, or be at least six feet away from everyone else.
To further protect others and stop the spread of germs, you should:
- Stay at home if you are sick (except if you are getting medical care)
- Cover coughs and sneezes
- Wash your hands often
- Clean and disinfect surfaces regularly whether it be in your house or at the workplace.
All these things are to protect you and the people near you from getting this infectious disease, be vigilant.
- What is the social distancing strategy?
- Why is social distancing still important?
- What is the difference between social distancing vs. quarantine?
- What is the difference between social distancing and isolation?
- What are social distancing requirements?
- How does social distancing work?
- What is the scale of social distancing?
- Will social distancing continue after the lockdown?