Personal Protective Equipment is crucial to keeping employees safe in the workplace. These items are garments designed to protect the worker from hazards and risks present in a facility. OSHA requires employers to purchase and provide properly fitting PPE at no charge to workers as it is their responsibility to keep employees safe on the job. Whether your workplace handles dangerous chemicals or has hazardous equipment on site, it is important to identify areas or tasks that will require an employee to wear PPE.
Regulations and understanding different types of PPE can be confusing. Different environments have different standards and staying compliant can be tricky. Below we answer some of the most commonly asked questions regarding PPE. Some of the topics that we will go over include:
- The different types of PPE: There are all kinds of hazardous environments out there that require different types and levels of protection. You wouldn’t go into an area that has a high risk of an arc flash occurring with a Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA). Instead, you would go in with the right PPE for the specific arc flash category the environment is rated for. We will go into depth about the different kinds of PPE available for various industries.
- When PPE should be worn: sometimes it is unclear when PPE should be worn by an employee. This can easily be remedied by looking into the regulations that OSHA and other standard setting organizations have put forth. It is also the responsibility of the employer to let the employees know when PPE is appropriate.
- PPE maintenance and care: Here we will discuss how to take care of your PPE to make sure it not only lasts a long time, but to also ensure that it is working at maximum efficiency to protect employees.
We are here to help answer all your PPE questions within this Q&A section. Your safety is our utmost priority!
PPE Questions and Answers
- Can PPE be shared, reused, or altered?
- How do you clean lead contaminated clothes?
- How does a job hazard analysis work for PPE?
- How often should hard hats be inspected?
- How should PPE be stored?
- Is Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) A Hazard Control Method?
- What Does PFAS (Personal Fall Arrest System) Stand For?
- What PPE can protect a worker from electrocution?
- What PPE is commonly used in construction sites?
- What PPE is recommended for chemical hazards?
- What PPE is used for working over dangerous equipment and machinery?
- What Types of Hearing Protectors are Available?
- What are PPE requirements?
- What are different types of PPE?
- What are different types of hand protection?
- What does APR stand for?
- What does PPE stand for?
- What does SCBA stand for?
- What does the Z87 on safety glasses mean?
- What hazards do PPE protect from?
- What is HVSA?
- What is NRR?
- What is PPE?
- What is a FIT Test (for Respirators)?
- What is hearing protection?
- What is in a PPE kit?
- What is the proper way to dispose of PPE?
- What situations require PPE?
- What type of training is there for PPE?
- When is hearing protection required?
- When is high visibility clothing needed?
- When should ear protection be worn?
- Who regulates PPE?
- Who supplies PPE at work?
- Why is PPE considered the last resort?