Rack labeling is an excellent way to follow 5S principles in the workplace. By focusing on organization, this way of labeling is an essential component to efficiency and continuous improvement within any facility that manages a large number of items. There are numerous benefits that come with implementing a rack labeling system within a business where inventory management is mandatory. Those perks include:
- Ease in finding product – Not being able to find what’s needed in a timely manner is cumbersome. However, that problem is entirely avoidable if racks are labeled correctly. New employees, and those who have been with the company for a long time, will appreciate the addition of rack labels to make their job of finding material less frustrating and much simpler.
- Improved efficiency – The addition of a rack labeling system will greatly improve efficiency as this aspect goes hand in hand with employees being able to locate products easily.
- The elimination of human error – Rack labels have precise data, often encoded with barcode technology. That data gives the employee all the information they need to keep the supply chain running and preventing delays for WIP. This is especially prevalent with manual inventory management practices.
- The improvement of durability and readability – Similar to being able to find the product, being able to read the information on the rack label is important. If there are labels that need to be replaced, it’s a piece of cake to make a new label and slap it on after the old one has been removed. It’s even better to know that rack labels, when taken care of, last for years without needing to be replaced.
- Better inventory management practices – Inventory management is the name of the game when it comes to rack labeling projects. Properly managing warehouse inventory will help eliminate waste in the form of downtime, over production, over processing, and rack labeling even works to eliminate excess costs.
Overall, deciding to implement a rack labeling system is an easy way to immediately improve how product gets into the customer hands. The goal for making improvements with rack labeling is to be as fast as possible and, of course, with no mistakes in the process.
- Why is rack labeling important?
- What supplies are needed for implementing a rack labeling system?
- What is a rack labeling system?
- What are the differences between rack labels, bin labels, and shelf labels?
- What type of barcodes are used for rack labeling?
- What are bin location labels?
- What are some different rack labeling strategies?
- What are the best way to label warehouse racks?