Think of usage-based maintenance, or UBM, as the same as car maintenance. “Change out your oil every 3,000 miles, rotate your tires after every 10,000, and change out the timing belt after 60,000!” UBM is a type of preventative maintenance that takes places depending on how much activity a piece of equipment has done rather than performing maintenance based on how much time as passed. The latter is a form of calendar-based maintenance which is also form of preventative maintenance that is usually scheduled.
Four of the best benefits that this type of preventative system imparts to businesses who choose to use it include:
- No More Manual Readings – With the help of CMMS software, a maintenance tech can log meter readings whenever they need to.
- Reduced Downtime – By ensuring that maintenance is performed in accordance with the UBM system, there should be less downtime associated with previous poorly maintained schedules.
- A Reduction in Surprise Breakdowns – This is preventative maintenance’s primary goal. By checking on equipment conditions, the maintenance worker can fix minor issues before they result in serious trouble.
- Longer Equipment Lifespan – Purchasing new equipment is costly and almost completely avoidable. If equipment is kept in tip-top shape, then that maintenance will extend the lifespan of that piece of machinery significantly.
Hook your UBM system up to a computerized maintenance management system to take full advantage of the above company-wide benefits. It will not only help you save money on equipment replacement, but it will also save money on labor, replacement parts, and most importantly save you time. That time will be better spent of increasing productivity levels as well as creating an overall efficient workplace in the absence of downtime and machine breakdowns.
Similar Glossary Terms
- Total Productive Maintenance (TPM)
- Maintenance Planning
- MRO (Maintenance, Reliability, and Operation)
- Fleet Management
- RCM (Reliability Centered Maintenance)
- Behavior-Based Safety (BBS)
- Asset Management